Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dictionaries needn't be a big yawn!

Rather often, former students of mine studying in arts, science, or engineering colleges ring me up just to ask me what a particular English word or idiom means.  Each time, I only look up the word or the idiom in the dictionary and give the meaning, lest I mislead the girl.  And I tell the girl, too, that I am giving the meaning only from the dictionary.  "But you can do it yourself, can't you?" I ask her. "You can look up the word yourself instead of wasting a phone call."  She laughs and talks about some pleasant nothing before hanging up,

Why is it that students don't feel encouraged to use the dictionary?  How often do they refer to a dictionary?  On what occasions?  What do they usually use a dictionary for?  Do they use the dictionary at all?  Do they own a dictionary?  To find answers to these questions, I spoke with some students, both present and past.

The students do have a dictionary, but most of them use it just three or four times in a month, especially when they are asked to write an essay or when they are given a home task that involves the use of the dictionary.  Some refer to a dictionary to check the spellings of words, while some say they consult a dictionary only to check that a word they want to use exists!  Not many students use the dictionary for its primary purpose, namely, looking up the meanings of words.

Some of the dictionary features (like syllable division, pronunciation, parts of speech, usage, and etymology) to which lexicographers give much importance, are either unimportant or of peripheral importance to the students.  In fact, one of their complaints is that dictionaries are cluttered with quite a lot of unwanted information.

That, I think, is the crux of the matter.  If dictionaries are unappealing to students, it is because of their poor layout and typography.  Design actually sets the scene.  Good design attracts attention and arouses interest.  If creates motivation in the reader to read further.  At a glance, the reader should be able to recognize what is happening under each entry.  Clear definitions, attractive information paths, and proper signposting will ensure easy accessibility.  Illustrations and colour will add to the attraction.

Some of the modern dictionaries do have all these features.  Take the Macmillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners, for instance.  The definitions are easy to understand because they are expressed in a 'defining vocabulary' of 2500 words.  In the case of words with many different meanings, there is a 'menu' on a light orange screen, which makes it easier for the reader to find the specific meaning they are looking for.  Words with greater frequency are printed in red; this helps the reader identify the words they are most likely to need.  Example sentences are given in italics.  When a word has many collocations, they are shown in a box at the end of the entry.  There are hints for avoiding common errors (example: "You accept something, but you agree to do something."), and notes about the origin of words like 'Cinderella'.

Consulting the dictionary will be a delight to children once they get the right dictionary and learn how to use it.

1 comment:

  1. Allow me to indulge in a bit of dictionary-nostalgia. My chambers dictionary that my father gave me in 4th class for my birthday. I was a tad disappointed to have got a dictionary but lugged it along nevertheless, everyday to school, for a great number of years, much to the chagrin of my friends who, I think, loved it only when they needed to know some word and at other times perhaps hated me for being pretentious. I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed my first introduction to a basic phonetic alphabet.
    Nowadays, it's wordweb,(http://wordweb.info/free/) a free dictionary tool that can be invoked at the press of a key. I am not sure how good it is though, except that it is easy to use and does a decent job at serving my needs.

    ReplyDelete